Thursday, June 17, 2010

First Impressions: Portal





Whenever I get a new game, I'll post up my initial thoughts of it, and will reflect on it by the time I finish the game. Will my opinion of the game change? Who knows.


You know what they say, better late than never! Almost three years after it captivated gamers across the world, I have finally jumped onto the Portal bandwagon. And it's not hard to see why it was one of the games of 2007; Portal is awesome in the face.

Most games force you to sit down for extended hours without breaks, punishing you for taking a minute time out. But not Portal, here is a nifty mod of Half Life 2 which is full of physics puzzles that gradually stretches the brain with each passing level. It doesn't punish you for taking a break, and I already get the feeling that I'll return to the game to try a new solution. And it's really smart and fun! The gradual progression eases you into the idea of shooting portals to move cubes onto pedestals to open doors and manipulating the path of rays to hit the intended target. IT'S GENIUS!

glaDos, the computer who directs you throughout the game, is quite eerie! While attempting to be comforting, she comes off as a robot's attempt at being a mother, not being able to comprehend the fine line between loving and creepiness

"Well done. Remember, the Aperture Science 'Bring your daughter to work' day is the perfect time to have her tested"

So yeah, Portal so far = awesome awesome awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Very vivid, & direct to the point that even a non-gamer like myself can picture the game's effect on it's user & how the game can be such a pleasure to be had! Well done Jared!

    Meantime, let me do some more reading...

    ReplyDelete