Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First Impressions: A Boy and His Blob




Whenever I get a new game, I'll post up my initial thoughts of it, and will reflect on it by the time I finish the game. Will my opinion of the game change? Who knows.

A Boy and his Blob
There's a 'hug' button in A Boy and His Blob, that serves no purpose other than to show some affection to your blob companion. I thought I'd start out this first impressions blog with this opening, because from that, you could easily figure out this game for yourself. But I'm not so mean, so I'll expand further on my initial thoughts of the game.

First up, the graphics are gorgeous. I'd even go as far to say it's the best on the wii. And it isn't because the Wii is pushed to it's overheating limits, it's because of the art design that the developers took. It's perfect, from the lush green fields to the night stages were the sky is illuminated by stars, A Boy and His Blob is real easy on the eyes. Really easy.

What to make of the game play though? It has the potential to attain that status of 'simple to understand, hard to master', with beans being used to transform the blob into objects to achieve objectives. Right now, beans are automatically chosen for each stage, and there are signs that direct the player towards what bean to use. So it helps the player ease into the game which is always good. Hopefully later there won't be any hand holding and the game just really tests the player's mind capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment